Former Navy Commodore, Kunle Olawunmi on Wednesday hinted that the Nigerian authorities is aware of these behind the decade-long Boko Haram insurgency within the nation.
He made the remark throughout an interview on Channels Tv’s Dawn Every day.
“They [government] know. In fact, it’s within the information,” Commodore Olawunmi mentioned.
“In April this 12 months, the federal government mentioned they’d arrested 400 Bureau De Change (BDCs)-related folks that had been sponsoring Boko Haram. They instructed us.”
The presidency had earlier mentioned it might publish names of these behind the Boko Haram battle with the event producing heated controversy throughout the nation.
However months down the road, the long-waited record is but to be made public, a state of affairs the ex-military officer says doesn’t bode nicely for the federal government who he accused of defending criminals.
“Strive them, we all know them. Why can’t this authorities, if not that they’re partisan, deliver these individuals out for trial?” he requested, corroborating calls from a number of quarters for the Federal Authorities to make good its promise.
He claimed that the federal government has developed chilly toes in preventing the insurgency as a result of a few of these backing Boko Haram are actually top-ranking authorities officers.
“I can’t come on air and begin mentioning names of individuals which are presently in authorities that the boys we arrested talked about,” he mentioned, referencing his time as a member of the army intelligence workforce in 2017.
“A few of them are governors now. A few of them are within the Senate. A few of them are in Aso Rock.”
RELATED: Bandits Assault NDA, Kill Two Officers, Abduct One
[Boko Haram Surrender] It Ought to Not Be Blanket Amnesty And Pampering – Ndume
Extra Boko Haram Insurgents Give up In Borno, Beg For Forgiveness
Troops Proceed Humiliating Boko Haram Terrorists In Borno -Nigerian Military
‘We Can’t Use Similar Technique’
Commodore Olawunmi believes the Nigerian authorities is just not honest within the battle towards Boko Haram.
Olawunmi’s comment is the newest within the continued debates about how Nigeria can finish the Boko Haram battle which has led to hundreds of deaths and displaced tens of millions particularly within the northeast and a few neighbouring nations.
Whereas the army says the continuing onslaught towards the terrorists has yielded outcomes and the criminals surrendering in ‘droves’, requires granting amnesty to among the “repentant” members of the sect have additionally divided opinions amongst stakeholders.
Advocates, citing the amnesty programme of the ex-President Musa Yar’Adua to ex-Niger Delta militants, say it should deliver peace to the troubled North-East.
However Olawunmi has faulted the transfer.
“The problem now we have on this nation can’t be solved the identical method we solved the issue of the Niger Delta. I instructed them we will’t use the identical technique for Boko Haram,” he argued, citing when he served a safety and intelligence transient on the Defence Headquarters between 2016 and 2017.
In keeping with him, fishing out the sponsors is a serious method of ending the battle.
“The centre of gravity of Boko Haram and insurgency in Nigeria are the sponsors of that programme,” the professor of Intelligence and International Safety Research, added.